The old light cruiser (former SMS Graudenz) was in reserve in Taranto since 1932. In spring 1936, after an in depth inspection to the hull and the engines, a technical commission gave its approval to her transformation into a ship whose purpose is “the AA defence of emergency naval bases”.
Mine-laying capacity for 100 “Bollo” type mines;
13 double 100/47 AA OTO 1928;
2 double 13,2 mm.
3 stabilized fire director stations, plus a fourth reserve one; one 5 meters range finder;
a single funnel for the remaining 6 oil boilers, 21k speed.
extended habitability and command facilities, and new plants to deal with hot climate, given the possibility to be displaced to Tobruk, Lero or Massaua.
Cost: 17.469.300 Lire.
The cost was the factor that at the end cancelled the project, as a limit was placed to 10.000.000 Lire (the cost at the era for a brand new “Oriani” Class CT).
Interestingly enough, during the discussion a new proposal emerged, an entirely different rebuild characterized by a complete substitution of the engines, a 27k speed and the ability, with the similarly modified old light cruisers and a new AA weaponry, to escort the Fleet.
(source: La Regia Marina e l’incrociatore antiaerei, E. Bagnasco, E. Cernuschi, “Storia Militare”).